Though there are some things we know can be recycled, such as paper and cardboard, there are a variety of other items that can be recycled that are less obvious. Here are 10 such items.
1. Many of us may still have some old VHS cassettes, but have nothing to play them on. So, throwing them out may seem like the obvious option, but, surprisingly, these old video tapes can be recycled. Once dismantled they can end up having a new life in the shape of packaging.
2. Batteries were, for a long time, one of the items that couldn’t be recycled. But, with discarded batteries having an impact on the environment, the need to find a way of recycling them became important. There are now specific locations that will happily accept your unwanted batteries and recycle them.
3. One of the most inventive ways that items are recycled is via Nike’s Reuse-a-Shoe program. Old sneakers are recycled to create courts that are used by children as play areas, and this project has a global reach also.
4. Tens of millions of inhalers are thrown away on an annual basis. But, by giving them to a pharmacy, it’s now possible for inhalers to be recycled too.
5. Corks can have many uses, once they’ve been recycled. They can be recycled and used for anything from flooring tiles to insulation, and even for sports equipment.
6. There are new things being added all the time regarding what can be recycled, and this list now includes tights. The things that can be produced, with the aid of recycled tights, range from park benches to toys.
7. When bits break off from crayons they will usually be disposed of. But, these bits can be melted and then used to create new crayons.
8. Some companies will do more than recycle cosmetic-related packaging. To encourage recycling, they will offer incentives like a free sample as well.
9. Unwanted bras can also be made use of. They can either end up being given to local shelters, or sent to help women in developing countries.
10. Eye glasses that you no longer want, but are still usable, can be recycled to help people with sight problems around the world. While sunglasses can be of a similar benefit to people who live close to the equator, and who need protection for their eyes from the bright sun.